This has got to be the easiest cheapest project ever! These coasters were made by my friend LeeAnn during crafting day at my house. It took no time at all to put these together and they will are such a fabulous gift for her mom. These white basic tiles are from home depot for 13 cents!! Just a few more materials (listed below) and the tiles were transformed into coasters.
- 4×4 white tiles
- Clear Top Coat/Sealant
- Fabric (alternatives- soft circles, rubber, shelf liner)
- Hot Glue
1) Cut your pictures (preferably printed onto paper) into 4×4 squares. We did the below “mema” coasters first, then the baby ones next.
2) Put the modpodge onto the tile and smooth your picture onto the top. Let dry 15-20min. Go have a DRINK 🙂 I love
drinking drying time *TIP* continue to smooth your picture down with a credit card as the under layer of modpodge dries. Trust me, do it or you will have bubbles for sure.
3) Smooth on a VERY THIN layer of modpodge on top of the picture. I said VERY THIN!! I mean it. You can do more layers after but start thin thin thin.
4) Another 15min of
drinking drying time and you can put on another layer of modpodge because I know you are dieing to put on more!
*Tip* Be very careful not to smooth too hard at this stage or you will end up with this problem, see below! It was naptime and LeeAnn started to rush then one of the bubbles scraped away eeek. We used a sharpie to fill it in and once we modpodged over it it was ok.
5) Once the top is dry make SURE to add a top coat clear sealant because mod podge is not water proof. It needs to be acrylic or some sort of water proof finish. (nothing water based)
6) Last thing you need to do is add some sort of backing to the coaster. Anything rubbery or soft will work. Here are some ideas:
- Fabric hot glued on (as per below pictures from LeeAnn)
- A large glob of hot glue in each corner
- Felt Squares or circles in each corner, or the soft part of velcro
- Craft paper hot glued to bottom
- Shelf liner (the rubber no stick kind)
So that is it! Super easy, super cute, super great gift idea for anyone. Less then $4.
Here are a few pictures of our backyard crafting. Love our crafting days here in San Diego, it is 70 degrees and sunny at 10am!
Link Parties by Date (Sun-Sat): Bewitch Me TitiCrafty | Nifty Thrifty Sunday | Sunday Showcase By Stephanie Lynn |Think Pink Sunday |Link It Or Lump It |The Block Party | Mega Inspiration Monday | Monday Funday | The DIYERS | Making Monday | Craftastic Monday| Much Ado About Monday |Twirl And Take A Bow |Tip Me Tuesday | Hit Me With Your Best Shot | Work it Wednesdays | Wednesday Whatsits | Wow Me Wednesday | The Inspiration Exchange | Wildly Original Link Party| Thursday S.T.Y.L.E |Weekly Kids Co-op | The Party Bunch | Craft Frenzy Friday | Link Party Palooza | Pin Me Party |Live. Love. Create. | Spotlight Saturday |Serenity Saturday For a complete link party list by date visit my link party page